With more than 350,000 words and phrases, hundreds of explanatory notes, and more than a thousand illustrations, this dictionary provides the most comprehensive and accurate coverage of American English available.
The New Oxford American Dictionary is Oxford's flagship American English dictionary, and sets the standard of excellence for lexicography in the United States. The dictionary app includes about 75,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, available in both British & American voice versions, including words with controversial or variant pronunciations.
The Third Edition offers a thoroughly updated text, with revisions throughout and approximately 2,000 new words, phrases, and meanings.
* A quick search of words while you type.
* A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
* A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
* A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
* Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
* A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
* History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
* Discover more using the included special language notes.
* See words in context with example sentences.
* 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.
***Note that audio pronunciations require an active internet connection.
Offering clear, authoritative, and precise information, with the in-depth and up-to-date coverage that users need and expect, the New Oxford American Dictionary is the benchmark by which all other American dictionaries are measured.